Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Summer Lovin' - Part 1

Ahhh... summertime. The perfect season for vacationing, going to the beach and... interning. You read that right -- Thistle Farms is lucky enough to have six amazing students interning with us this summer and we couldn't be more thrilled.

Today, we spotlight three of those six to find out who they are, where they came from, why they're here and what they're getting out of their Thistle Farms experience.





Deery Brooks

1. Where do you attend school and what else do you do outside of Thistle Farms?
I go to Harpeth Hall where I run track and cross-country and am involved in service.   

2. Which department do you work with directly?
I am mainly helping with education and outreach by assisting Deb with plans for our first National Conference in October.

3. How did you learn about Thistle Farms?
I have always had the products around my house, so when my mom suggested I intern here, I jumped at the opportunity!

4. Why did you decide to intern at Thistle Farms?
I wanted to learn more about the program, specifically about its correlation with sex trafficking. Also, I wanted to do something productive and helpful with my time off of school.

5. What skills are you learning here and what is something you'll take away from this experience?
I have learned a lot about how an organization like this works, by seeing not only how the products are made, but also the work that goes in, so that everything runs smoothly. Also, I am learning to be more appreciative of products that I buy because I have seen the true time and energy that goes in to making the products. 


Ellen Andrews

1. Where do you attend school and what else do you do outside of Thistle Farms?
I'm a Junior at Wofford College in Spartanburg, SC.

2. Which department do you work with directly?
General Assistance, mainly helping with social media, PR / Thistle Farms blog, and assistance in the Thistle Stop Café.

3. How did you learn about Thistle Farms?
I have been a member of St. Augustine's since I was 7 years old. My mom, Robin Andrews, was a very involved volunteer during the start up of Magdalene and Thistle Farms. She always used to bring me to the chapel whenever she was helping out with candle making in the early days of Thistle Farms, so it's been a part of my life for about 13 years now.

4. Why did you decide to intern at Thistle Farms?
I love everything that Thistle Farms stands for and I love that I have kind of come full circle with Thistle Farms as a child volunteer, making candles in the kitchen of the A frame to a summer intern for the 2nd year in a row. I learn something new everyday not just in my work as an intern but from the women I am surrounded by. 

5. What skills are you learning here and what is something you'll take away from this experience?
Since I have been working with social media, I have learned a lot about navigating websites and HTML work, but I think I am learning and gaining so much more beyond office work, in terms of how I view the people and the world that I am surrounded by day in and day out. The biggest thing that I will take away from this experience is that love really has the power to heal so many things if given the chance to work its magic. This humbling experience has continued to help me become a more open, honest, and compassionate thistle farmer and I am so grateful!


Ebony Davidson

1. Where do you attend school and what else do you do outside of Thistle Farms?
I am a graduating senior at Tennessee State University, work part time at Macy’s and intern at Thistle Farms.

2. Which department do you work with directly?
I work mostly with Deb in Marketing and Education Outreach. We’re preparing for Thistle Farms’ first National Conference – Welcome To The Circle – Oct. 13-15.

3. How did you learn about Thistle Farms?
My mother, Katrina Robertson, graduated from the Magdalene program in 2007 and is the National Sales Director at Thistle Farms.

4. Why did you decide to intern at Thistle Farms?
I decided to intern here for several reasons. One is that I am working towards a double major in psychology and communications and Thistle Farms is the perfect mix of the two. Another reason is that Magdalene, Thistle Farms and the circle have been crucial to me and given me so much over the years. It was about time I found my own place in the circle.

5. What skills are you learning here and what is something you'll take away from this experience? 
I have learned so much about the non-profit business and the ins & outs of communications. Learning how to make these work together is an amazing experience and I’m so very grateful for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment